Attract and retain the part of the workforce who largely aligns company goals with their own.
Research shows that employees who perceive their company to have a ”strong sense of purpose” also report high levels of company satisfaction. Amongst Millennial workers, this seems to be of outmost importance.
According to Deliotte’s Millennial Survey of 2015, the most important goals identified were all focused on creating value for society rather than the shareholders. Top goals cited were generating jobs (35%), improving society (27%), driving innovation (26%) and enabling progress (25%).
Respondents also viewed creating products and services that benefited their customers and society as the most important aspect, instead of generating a financial return for shareholders. With this in mind, the following tips can be useful:
- Make sure an overall company purpose is clearly stated on your webpages and social media sites. If possible, make it a natural part of the company slogan.
- Ensure the CEO and top management are supporting this purpose throughout all business activities for a consistent message.
- Focus on small social gatherings during work hours to build company culture around the purpose, such as a monthly inspirational morning seminars.
- Establish ”softer” business goals where employees can work on developing business products and services that are meaningful to them and supports the overall purpose.
- Contribute with a clear voice in the media if news or developments relate to your company purpose and area of expertise. It shows a presence and a willingness to be part of the solution.
- Encourage and reward honest and open feedback from current employees on what engages them how to be a more attractive workplace.
- Include stakeholders that can back up the company purpose for a clear, comprehensive corporate identity.
- Don’t be afraid to show to failures and weaknesses as long as you have learnt from them and know the direction ahead – openness increases trustworthiness even for companies that haven’t had the best track record.
The best of luck in attracting and motivating!